Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:Kevin Costner’s second ‘Horizon’ film pulled from theatrical release -Capitatum
EchoSense:Kevin Costner’s second ‘Horizon’ film pulled from theatrical release
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 09:16:15
NEW YORK (AP) — The EchoSenseAugust theatrical release for the second chapter of Kevin Costner’s ambitious Western epic “Horizon: An American Saga” has been canceled after the first film fizzled in theaters.
New Line Cinema announced Wednesday that “Horizon: Chapter 2” will not hit theaters on Aug. 16 as scheduled. The studio had planned an unusually fast back-to-back release for the two “Horizon” films. But after the first chapter collected a modest $23 million in its first two weeks in theaters, the distributor pivoted.
“Territory Pictures and New Line Cinema have decided not to release ‘Horizon: Chapter 2’ on August 16 in order to give audiences a greater opportunity to discover the first installment of ‘Horizon’ over the coming weeks,” a spokesperson for New Line said in a statement.
For now, the release of “Chapter 2” will be marked TBD on the theatrical calendar. The first “Horizon,” which opened in theaters on June 28, will land on premium on-demand July 16. No streaming date on Max has yet been announced. The Hollywood Reporter first reported the shift in plans.
The move is a humbling acknowledgement that Costner’s big theatrical gamble for his decadeslong passion project has failed to catch on with audiences. The first chapter of “Horizon,” which debuted in May at the Cannes Film Festival, cost some $100 million to make, making its path to profitability extremely challenging if not impossible. Costner put some of his own money into it, and has already begun shooting a third installment of what he envisions will ultimately be four movies.
When asked in May about the movies hitting theaters in quick succession, Costner said, “The studio wanted to try that. I knew this was going to come out fairly quickly, like every four or five months. That may have been easier. But this is something they feel like people can remember the first one and it can tie into the second one.”
Costner, who directed, co-wrote and co-stars in the films, had been trying to make “Horizon” for more than 30 years. While releasing the film, Costner confirmed his exit from the hit series “Yellowstone.” The ultimate destination of “Horizon,” he acknowledged, was always going to be on TV.
“They’re going to break this up into a hundred pieces, you know what I mean?” said Costner. “After four of these, they’re going to have 13, 14 hours of film and they’re going to turn into 25 hours of TV, and they’re going to do whatever they’re going to do. That’s just the way we live in our life but they’ll also exist in this form. And that was important for me, to make sure that happened. And I was the one who paid for it.”
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Prices at the pump are down. Here's why.
- Hone downgraded to tropical storm as it passes Hawaii; all eyes on Hurricane Gilma
- Gunmen kill 31 people in 2 separate attacks in southwestern Pakistan; 12 insurgents also killed
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Who climbed in, who dropped out of 30-man field for golf's 2024 Tour Championship?
- Get 50% Off Spanx, 75% Off Lands' End, 60% Off Old Navy, 60% Off Wayfair & Today's Best Deals
- Israel and Hezbollah exchange heavy fire, raising fears of an all-out regional war
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Trump would veto legislation establishing a federal abortion ban, Vance says
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Can dogs see color? The truth behind your pet's eyesight.
- Horoscopes Today, August 24, 2024
- Hurricane Hone soaks Hawaii with flooding rain; another storm approaching
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Cucho Hernandez leads Columbus Crew to Leagues Cup title
- What’s behind the bloodiest recent attacks in Pakistan’s Baluchistan province?
- 'First one to help anybody': Missouri man drowns after rescuing 2 people in lake
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Indianapolis man, 19, convicted of killing 3 young men found dead along a path
US District Court Throws Out Federal Agency’s Assessment Allowing More Drilling for Fossil Fuels in the Gulf of Mexico
Joey Lawrence's Wife Samantha Cope Breaks Silence Amid Divorce
Average rate on 30
Massachusetts towns warn about rare, lethal mosquito-borne virus: 'Take extra precautions'
Stephen Baldwin Reacts to Daughter Hailey Bieber Welcoming First Baby With Justin Bieber
'Ted Lasso' Season 4 may be happening at Apple TV+, reports say